On Thursday 4th April 2019 "Athens Science Festival" took place at Technopolis, Athens, bringing all citizens close to science.
On Thursday 4th April 2019 "Athens Science Festival" took place at Technopolis, Athens, bringing all citizens close to science. The main focus of the festival is to demonstrate modern scientific and technological performance and to bring new knowledge through a continuous and open dialogue with the public. Among the events of the festival was "Climate Change: Science, Innovation and Participation", where:
- Prof. Phoebe Koundouri (Athens University of Economics and Business) and Director of Climate KIC Greece (Athena RC), focused on the importance of investments on the whole spectrum of sustainability and on the research held by the research centres ICRE8 and ReSEES, which she is directing, demonstrating projects aiming to the implementation of SDGs in Greece and abroad. These projects vary from renewable energy to non-market valuation. Also, she underlined the importance of UN SDSN Greece, which is co-chaired by her and Prof. Andreas Papandreou, in communicating existing sustainable solutions and of the Climate KIC Greece in accelerating innovation and connecting it with the market.
- Dora Trachana, Uni.Fund, explained how Uni.Fund supports innovations focused on sustainability
- Eleni Atsikbasis, founder of "Healing Lesvos", talked about the project, which aims in supporting the island of Lesvos in three ways:
a. Protect marine environment
b. Create social change in the area
c. Create local income through managing this protected area
- Efi Tritopoulou, General Director of "Citipost", presented the new project of Citipost, a innovative waste and data management platform focusing on smart cities and sustainability through recycling
- Lefteris Arapakis, Director and Co-founder of "Enaleia", presented the start-up, the aim of which is to educate, motivate, organize and track the fishermen, so as to be able to collect plastic from the sea through their bi-catch.
- Giorgos Iliou, vice-mayor of Kithnos, focused on the Green actions taken place in Kithnos island
Lastly, Eleni Petra, Elli Papadopoulou and Lydia Papadaki engaged the audience in an interactive game regarding the SDGs and the Climate Change.